This article is about kids making money.Find out what the law says and read about ideas that will help your kids make money
- So what does the law say?
- Children under 18 are protected by law.
- Kids of 16 to 17 years old may work unlimited hours as long as the work is non hazardous.
- They may only work for certain periods of the day, and for a certain number of hours per week.
- Jobs are limited for kids under 18 years of age.
- For any jobs other than non hazardous farm work, your kids must be fourteen or over.
The child labour laws make exemptions to the law and kids making money in some cases:
- Acting or performing.
- Children who work in their parents businesses and kids who do paper rounds.
- Check out the full information
Do you want to read what other visitors have said about kids making money?
Scroll to bottom of page or click here to share an idea or read comments.
So what jobs can your kids do, here are some ideas:
Newspaper deliveries, acting or performing, non hazardous farm work, retail, clerical.
- Through the school year your kids cannot work during school hours.
- Except for newspaper delivery rounds kids cannot work between 7a.m or after 7p.m
- Kids cannot work for more than 18 hours per week or for more than 3 hours a day.
- During the summer, your kids can work up to 40 hours per week.
- They can work 8 hours per day up until 9pm.
- Always check your state laws as they vary depending on the state.
Kids of 14 years and above will need your help to prepare resume's for jobs.
You will need to prepare them for approaching getting a job in a positive manor.
If you are fortunate you may know of jobs available because of connections you have already.
You may want to help them with discussing appearance, how to find places of work to apply to, how to behave when approaching prospective employers,
and how to follow up job applications. Most importantly you will want to prepare your kids for that inevitable "No".
Other jobs that do not come under federal or state laws are:
yard work, helping parents with their work or babysitting, helping neighbours clear snow or washing neighbours cars.
If you have some great ideas for kids making money
add it in the form below. Thank you.
Have A Great Story About This Topic?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!
Kids Making Money