Butterfly lesson plans for kids
Giving Time - Teaching Skills for Life
Leave butterfly lesson plans for kids page and return to free homeschool worksheets
We hope you enjoy these butterfly lesson plans for kids as much as we have.
We found lots of fun ways to find out about butterflies.
Lesson Plan 1
- Try The Very Hungry Caterpillar Bookwhich is about a caterpillar who eats his way through
- the days of the week. On Monday he eats an apple, on Tuesday 2 pears.
- Then plums, strawberries, chocolate cake, icecream cone, pickle, and swiss cheese.
- Then salami, a lollipop, piece of cherry pie, a sausage link, a cupcake, and watermelon.
- We enjoyed this book which led to chats about what foods we enjoyed best.
- We made a graph.
- We decided to ask twenty family and friends which of the foods the caterpillar ate they liked best.
- We used graph paper and used numbers 0-20 up the side of the graph and the foods listed along the bottom.
- Then we looked at the graph to see the favorite food and the least favorite (in our case this was the pickle)
- Find pictures beginning with the letter C fom magazines or the internet, mix these with other pictures.
- Have your child draw a caterpillar (or you can)
- Next have your child find pictures beginning with C and stick them on sheet with the caterpillar.
Lesson Plan 3
- Buy this buterfly kit from Insect Lore.
- It comes with live caterpillars, a habitat you can hang or sit on a surface, a feeding kit and instructions.
- This is great for seeing the caterpillars become butterflies.
- It takes around tree weeks from delivery for the whole process which is great for kids.
- Your kids could keep a journal of the stages and what they see, get them to draw what they see.
- The kids can take photos and then place them in order in a scrapbook book then write a description.
Lesson Plan 4
- Design your own butterfly.
- Let kids look at lots of photos of butterflies.
- Provide egg cartons, colored tissue paper, beads, leaves, grass, dries pasta, paint or crayons, glue.
- Help kids to design a butterfly of their own using what they know about butterfly makeup, habitats, food etc.
Lesson Plan 5
- Create the butterfly life cycle with pasta and other bits.
- Provide shaped pasta, leaves, twigs, buttons and cotton wool, paper or cardboard to stick the bits to, glue.
- Have the kids create the life cycle stages on the paper or cardboard by using the pasta shapes and other bits.
Lesson Plan 6
Easy butterfly wordsearchworksheet
Label the butterflyworksheet
Here are some coloring pictures of butterflies for kids
Return to parenting kids home page
Sign up for our monthly newsletters full of tips and the latest news